Stand-up desks. A fade contrived by creative business to generate new business and shareholder value? Or valid science and research linking sitting all day with real life threatening dangers? At first glance, my inclination is just another fade to come and go .. plan to skip this one.
STOP! Press rewind. Hit play.
The question is not, is the latest stand-up desk fade really worth the effort and money? Instead, do the health costs, dangers, i.e. mental health, cancer, death out weight the monetary setback?
We mortals are all but shadows and dust. Shadows and dust.
Ultimately, the health warnings and dangers of sitting for 10-15 hours a day finally rang true after promising my young son we would do a triathlon together. The countless articles warning of the dangers couldn’t convince me. You know ….
- Don’t let sitting all day kill you
- Siting Your Life Away
- 21 Ways To Stay Healthy When You Sit At a Desk All Day
- Sitting all Day Is Really Bad for You
- The health hazards of sitting
However, the reality of leaving my son, kids too early, not being able to complete our triathlon, and not setting an example of good health in the ever challenging workplace hit home hard. Here is a short list of the health dangers.
- Worse mental health
- A higher risk of death from heart disease and other causes
- A higher risk of being disabled
- Colon Cancer
- Mushy Abs
- Strained neck
- Sore Shoulders and Back
- Poor Circulation
- Increased consumption of sugary foods
Of course the Internal is littered with expensive stand-up desks available. The goal, find an inexpensive setup to try out before going all in. Bingo! Found an article on
IKEA Hackers site claiming a stand-up desk build for $25 is achievable with ease.
IKEA Hackers Standard Build Cost: $21.98
- Lack side table – $7.99
- Viktor Shelf – $5.99
- Ekby Valter bracket $4.00 x 2
- Screws from home: free.
After a little research, planning and much deliberation my colorful design cost $60.29 total. Leveraged existing IKEA Galant desk as the baseline for the stand-up desk build. My chair is now shadow and dust! Recommend researching your building prior to running with mine and take special note of the suggested alignment diagram in references. With measurements in hand then determine the build necessary for you.
Standard IKEA Build Cost: $52.55
- IKEA Lack side table – $7.99 X 3
- IKEA Ekby OSTEN Shelf – $9.99
- IKEA Ekby Valter bracket $4.00 x 2
- ACE Hardware Wood Screws 1 ½ inches 10 course: 0.15 x 4
Colorful IKEA Build Cost: $60.29
One side of the IKEA Ekby OSTEN Shelf board spray painted
Key Lime and other painted
Real Orange, allowing me to switch based on my mood.
- Rust-Oleum Painters Touch Ultra Cover 2X Gloss Key Lime – $3.87 X 1
- Rust-Oleum Painters Touch Ultra Cover 2X Gloss Real Orange – $3.87 X 1
Stumbled across several very interesting builds along my journey. Overall the hamster wheel standing desk takes all the marbles!